Hemorrhoids or Hemroids
What are Hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are essentially varicose veins or blood vessels similar to the veins we see in our legs or spider veins. They arepresent in the lower colon, the rectum and the anal opening. When the veins located there get swollen, hemorrhoids form. Due to the pressure we have to exert when we use the toilet, they often get enlarged. Because of where these veins and blood vessels are located, they often get infected with bacteria. They often burn, causing a dull pain and an itching sensation that can be very painful. Hemorrhoids very often bleed, especially after bowel movement. The color of the stain on the toilet tissue will be bright red.
People get hemorrhoids for many reasons.
- Sitting still for long time
- Constipation and hard bowel movements
- Heavy Lifting
- Pregnancy and giving birth
- Lack of fiber
- Not drinking enough liquids
Internal and External Hemorrhoids:
Internal Hemorrhoids are those enlarged veins that are found inside the rectum. Some people do not feel these and don’t know they have them. After a colonoscopy, they may be told and it may be the first time they find out they have them. Other people find internal hemorrhoids very painful, and it is an itch they cannot scratch. They may bleed and get infected. Without treatment, the infection can lead to more serious medical problems
External Hemorrhoids are often very painful. Some people have difficulty sitting down. They feel like hard or soft bumps, or like skin that has escaped from inside the rectum. The often bleed when the person strains to use the toilet or has a hard stool. The burning and itching can be unbearable. And in others, they feel the lump, but it does not bother them. If blood vessel is cut off from the blood supply, strangulation can occur. This is very painful and is known as Thrombosis.
Suggested Products to Aid in Relief of Hemorrhoid Symptoms
HemClear: There is one product on the market that has shown great promise is the elimination of Hemorrhoids. HemClear (available at Hemclear.com) combines a variety of natural ingredients formulated to shrink and remove Hemroids. This product has a proven success rate and is highly recommended.
These are a few of the products on the market which help relieve Hemroid symptoms.
- Aleve: naproxen sodium
This is an over the counter anti inflammatory which may give relief from the pain and itching of Hemroids.
- Hydrocortisone creams:
These are also available over the counter and will give some relief from swelling, pain, itching and burning sensation of external hemriods.
- Hydrocortisone suppositories:
These are also available to relieve the internal discomfort.
- Miralax, Metamucil, Citrucel:
These are a few of the available stool softening and high fiber products available for prevention of constipation.
Treatment of Hemorrhoids
Of course, the best treatment for Hemroids is prevention. Try eliminating the causes of your Hemorrhoids, or figuring out why you got them and avoiding these situations, if possible. Take measure to avoid diarrhea and constipation. But, still, once you have Hemorrhoids, how can you treat them?
How can you get relief from the burning, pain and itching of Hemroids?
- Let your anal opening be exposed to hot clean water. Sit in a tub of water, or what it called a Seitz Bath.
- Take aspirin or Ibuprofen for pain relief
- Over the counter creams and suppositories can be used to sooth the burning
- Wash with soap and hot water each time you use the toilet
- Avoid straining. Take a stool softener, like Miralax, if needed.
Usually, by the time you decide to read an article like this, it is too late for Hemroid prevention. And some things are difficult to do in normal day to day living. You may not want to avoid pregnancy, or you job may require you to sit all the time. But, if you can, you should try to follow steps to keep them from flaring up.
- Walk around whenever you can instead of sitting in the same place.
- Practice safe lifting, bending at the knees. Breathe when lifting, try not to strain.
- Use cough drops or cough syrup to prevent coughing.
- Eat foods that do not cause you to have constipation. Eat fruits and vegitable and whole grains. Use a stool softener if necessary
- If you have diarrhea, take measures to control it with diet and medication.
- Do not sit on the toilet for a long time. This is not the place to watch TV or read a book, if you have to strain to have a bowel movement.
When to see Your Doctor for Hemorrhoids?
With all the preventative measures in place, you still may need medical treatment. There could be some other medical issues that need Hemroid treatment. And your physician may recommend other procedures, a colonoscopy or even surgery.